2012 Race Updates
Race Photos from Hometown Action Photography are now up. I was the one at the run/bike and top of Batman climb. Thanks to all that participated in this years CRC and we hope to see you all back next year for an even bigger and more outrageous race.
There may be other photos coming up shortly from thewetumpkaherald.com, and will post their link if they provide it.
(posted October 9, 2012)
Friday night registration, entertainment and race meeting 6pm-9pm at:
Coosa River Adventures,
415 Company St (see map below)
6:00 am - Last Minute registration and packet pickup if you missed Friday night event.
7:00 am - All racers at Goldstar Park for bike drop-off and race briefing then transport (big yeller schoolbus) to race start. (Please be on time)
8:30 am - Race Start at Swayback Bridge Trailhead
If you need any directions to any of the race locations, check out the map below.
Other questions, just create a forum post and we'll see if we can get it answered.
(posted September 25, 2012)
Discussion Forum is now up to get you questions answered or share your expertise
2012 Race Details
3-6 hours of mountain biking, trail running, river paddling with lots of special tests throughout. The format is 2-person teams male/female/co-ed or individual and the course is friendly enough to be finished by the novice racer, while challenging enough for the veteran adventure racer. We expect the top teams to finish in about 3.5 hours with the majority of racers to have finished in 5 hours. The route incorporates the last of the whitewater of Alabama's major river systems and finishes in historic downtown Wetumpka.
Saturday, October 13, 2012
-- This years race will be managed by About-Time-Events.com and registration details can be found there.
Packet pick up will be at the pre party friday October 12, 2012 at 6:00-9:00 at Coosa River Adventures. Detailed info about challenges will be provided as well as food, drink and entertainment.
Below is a general map of the race course...Green is start, Red is morning meeting point and finish. Yellow is Friday night.
View CRC Adventure Race in a larger map
• To assist in race planning; There is only one official race transition area which is located at the Swayback trailhead. The run and the bike will start and finish from here. You will be allowed to leave one gear bag at this location during the race for transition purposes. Gear bags and bikes will be transported back to the finish at Gold Star park after the biking is completed. Whatever you take with you after the biking portion on your way down to the kayak/canoe leg will remain with you until you arrive at Goldstar park, so plan accordingly..
Note: The boat leg ends at Goldstar park where you will find the long awaited finish line. You can choose to leave more equipment along the course, but race organizers are not liable for any equipment left at any point other than the official transition area.
Race planning is just about complete, but we reserve the right to keep the lid on a few surprises (that’s why its called an Adventure race right?). But I’m sure you wouldn’t want it any other way. Anyway, Here is what we will disclose:
• Run; distances is approx. 3-4 miles at the start with about 2-3 more added in throughout.
• Bike; distance around 8 miles.
• 7 mile kayak/canoe down the Coosa river
Note: Canoes/2-man-sit-on-top and indivual kayaks will be available on a first come/first serve basis. Due to logistics, we will not be accepting specific boat type requests. (Teams must use team boats, a team can’t use two individual kayaks)
• Finish at Goldstar Park
Several challenges will be revealed at racetime, but we would like to give details of one challenge that generates the most questions.
Rappel - !!! IMPORTANT !!! – Rappel Guidelines
The rapel is about 85 ft down a slanted rockface above the Coosa River (see picture at right).
• All equipment provided and safety will be strictly controlled.
• No prior experience required.
• Only one team member is reqiured to do the rappel and teams won’t know until they arrive at the challenge which team member will perform the challenge. This will be decided by a luck of the draw process
• No kayaks/canoes will be allowed in the water at the base of the rappel, all boats need to remain in the launch area until the rapelling team member returns from the rapel challenge.
These rules are to ensure the safety and integrity of the race. They will be enforced the race staff and volunteers. Any protests can be made after completion of the race to the race director. All decisions by the race director are final.
Like last year, competitors are not restricted to certain types of canoes/kayaks. Hey we’re all about fun and keeping it simple; If it floats you you can use it. Race qualified boats may be rented at a discount at the time of registration – either online, or mail-in. Boat rental is $30 for teams, and $20 for individuals.
- Failure of a team to pass through each checkpoint in order.
- Using a mode of travel other than the one specified for each leg.
- Any travel other that human powered travel.
- Littering on the course.
- Assistance by anyone not competing in the race (this includes support crew) outside of the Transition Areas.
- Missing checkpoint/punch point
- Disobeying instructions from a race official
- Unauthorized road/trail travel
- Non-assistance to a person in danger
- Not wearing or improperly wearing a life jacket in the boat
- Not wearing a helmet while on the bike
- Violation over the identity of a competitor or change of a team member during race
- Removing/altering a punch device, trail sign or marking
- Travel on Unauthorized/Restricted route
30 Minute Penalty
- Teammates not staying within 100 feet of each other.
- Teams not staying on the prescribed course.
15 Minute Penalty
Racers should prepare for 4-6 hours of hydration such as camelbacks, electrolytes, fuel, etc. We will have a water station at the Swayback Bridge trail. Racers will also need to bring a compass for the orienteering challenge.
Wetumpka, Alabama – 32.54°N, 86.21°W
Birmingham: 95 Miles
Mobile: 175 Miles
Jackson: 265 Miles
Atlanta: 170 Miles
The above links will take you to MapQuest driving directions to Coosa River Adventures - the site of the pre-race registration on Friday night.
Places to Stay
Camping is available at the race registration site (Coosa River Adventures)
Detailed Lodging Information: WetumpkaOnline Lodging Page
For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org